Welcome to our wrap-up of Episode 7 of This Week in Cannabis Retail.
Here’s what you need to know this week
U.S. Cannabis Council appoints interim CEO
The U.S. Cannabis Council has a new/interim CEO. It was announced last week that Khadijah Tribble is the new interim head taking over from Steven Hawkins. Tribble is well-known in the cannabis industry and has a must-watch TED Talk that should be mandatory viewing for all cannabis professionals. We've included the embed so you can check it out below!
Is cannabis more popular than tobacco?
The answer is yes, according to a recent poll conducted by Gallop. For the first time ever, more Americans (16%) reported smoking cannabis than tobacco (11%) in the past week.
U.S. cannabis market updates
- Republican South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem stated she'll implement a cannabis voter initiative if one is passed this November. While this sounds like good news, Governor Kristi Noem has fought against successful cannabis voter initiatives in the past.
- In Pennsylvania last week, President Biden attended a Labor Day rally, which was the perfect opportunity for Democratic Lt. Governor and U.S. Senate candidate John Fetterman to bring up federal cannabis reform—which Fetterman said he did and would do again.
- A voter initiative to legalize adult-use cannabis in Missouri is in the courts right now, and there's a September 13th deadline for the court to rule yea or nay on moving it to the November ballot. Interestingly enough, a Democratic lawmaker has already established up a group to oppose the measure, but not for the reasons you might think. Instead, Impactful Canna Reform Coalition is calling out the lack of social equity provisions and advocates for the inclusion of smoking cannabis in public, among other provisions.
- Alabama regulators have set timelines, fees, and other measures for their medical cannabis program, according to MJBizDaily. The first step is applying to receive an application—and that window opened on September 1st.
From an expert
This week, Bryan Barash, Head of Public Policy Strategy and Compliance at Dutchie, joined us to share updates about a Last Prisoner Project initiative in California. Barash also shared details of Dutchie’s involvement with the social justice reform organization.
Upcoming events and webinars
We’ll wrap up the program with a look at what’s happening in the Dutchie universe over the next few weeks—so you’ll want to bookmark our LinkedIn page and make sure you check back here Noon Eastern/9 am Pacific on Fridays. for the latest.
- September 8th: Join us for our upcoming webinar, A beginner's guide to cannabis business insurance
- September 9-10th: The Dutchie team will be at NECANN at the New Jersey Cannabis Convention in Atlantic City, booth #406
- September 13-14th: We'll attending Hall of Flowers in Toronto—make sure to find us and say hello!
To view and register for all of Dutchie's upcoming events, visit our LinkedIn page.
- This Week in Cannabis Retail, Episode 6 feat. Jason Tarasek, Minnesota Cannabis Law
- This Week in Cannabis Retail, Episode 5 feat. Desmon W. Lewis of The Bronx Cannabis Hub
- This Week in Cannabis Retail, Episode 4 feat. Sally Kent Peebles, Partner, Vicente Sederberg LLP
- This Week in Cannabis Retail, Episode 3 feat. Brendon Robinson, CEO, Minority Cannabis Academy
- This Week in Cannabis Retail, Episode 2 feat. Erica Woods, Director, Government Relations and Regulatory Affairs at Dutchie
- This Week in Cannabis Retail, Episode 1 feat. Zach Lipson, Co-Founder and Chief Product Officer at Dutchie